Monday, May 01, 2006

Eagle has landed

Five quick observations on London:

1. English are not the most attractive race in the world, but are better than Irish.
2. London streets are not a grid system, so when you are kind of lost, swallow your pride and stop to ask directions or you will end up walking for 3 hours when the trip should have only taken 10 minutes.
3. Walkabout pub – move on nothing to see here.
4. Yorkshire pudding, where have you been my whole life????
5. When Starbucks coffee is the best coffee on offer in the whole country, it’s no wonder everyone drinks tea.

So, I’ve finally got a chance to write to you all and say hi. The past few days have been a hectic mesh of house hunting, job interviews and sampling the London night and day life. I can’t wait to get out of the backpackers. Here I was thinking ‘backpackers – great – now I feel like I’m really travelling, only to be reminded of how much I have become accustomed to the good life with many thoughts about my current living situation, such as:
• Why are you talking to me and is that you creating that smell?
• Yes, I’m from Melbourne too, that doesn’t mean we need to be friends.
• A single bed – in a bunk – hurrah I’m 12 again, maybe we can build a cubby house.
• How can one be expected to exfoliate, wash their face and moisturise when the showers don’t heat up enough?
• Actually I might pass on that 15th beer, just a nice Shiraz thanks.

Already got an instant family. Met one person a bar on Tuesday night, and now have a great little network going on, my social calender is booked for the next 6 weeks. It’s quite funny how quickly your social network builds up when you’re in another country (3 hours to have nearly a dozen new friends) compared to when you move to Sydney (3 years and the guy at the milk bar starts to smile at you).

3 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are gay

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Bart said...

And you're brave being anonymous?

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are still gay.

see you soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home